Note: Was your lease signed or did your concern start before 4/18/18? If so, please see the bottom of this page for law changes that may impact your situation. For quick summaries of the many many law changes, see our Law Changes Page.

Getting Repairs Done

Step 1: Make a List. Before contacting the landlord, make a list of the repair problems that need to be fixed.

Step 2: Contact the Landlord and Start a Paper Trail. Be sure to tell the landlord as soon as there is a problem. Some repair issues will get worse if not fixed right away. Give the landlord the list of the needed repairs and a reasonable time limit to do the work. (This should be based on how urgent the issue is to you, and how long it might take to repair.) If you speak in person or on the phone, be sure to follow up right away with a letter or e-mail saying what you talked about and keep copies of everything.

Step 3: Put it in Writing. Start keeping a log of all calls, including the times and dates of calls, who you talked to, and what you requested. This is important for three reasons:

  1. Landlords often take things more seriously when they're put in writing, and might make the repairs faster.
  2. It is illegal for a landlord to Retaliate against a tenant for asserting their rights (including when requesting repairs). In order to protect yourself, you need proof of the request.
  3. If the problem gets worse because the landlord won't fix it, you shouldn't be charged for the extra damage. Just like retaliation, to protect yourself you need to have proof of when you reported the repair and how bad it was at the beginning.

Step 4: Get Serious. If your landlord does not contact you or make repairs quickly enough, write a letter or e-mail with a new deadline, and tell them you will take further action (see below) if they don't meet it. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself!

NOTE: Don't Ignore Emergencies! For some urgent problems, such as no heat or a broken lock on the main door, you might choose to contact building inspection immediately, and not go through the steps of writing letters if the landlord is not responding to initial phone calls. If you smell gas, leave the house immediately and then call your utility company!

Step 5: Call the Building Inspector. If the landlord still won't make the necessary repairs, call your local Building Inspector. Building Inspection can order the landlord to fix certain problems, such as lack of heat or hot water, a pest infestation, water damage, mold, but not cosmetic things such as faded paint or stained carpeting. The Building Inspector will order the landlord to make the repairs by a deadline and will come back to see that the repairs are complete. See our list of Local Building Inspectors (below) in order to contact your building inspector.

If you live in an area that has no building inspector and if there are major safety hazards in your apartment, such as faulty wiring or a pest infestation, you can try calling a fire department or public health inspector or the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Sometimes they are able to visit a home that is in need of repairs and sometimes they are able to persuade the landlord to take more significant action.

Step 6, Option A: Rent Abatement (Outside of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Wausau, Madison, and Fitchburg). Rent abatement is a partial rent credit when the landlord won't fix an issue that "materially affects the health or safety of the tenant" or "substantially affects the use or occupancy" of the unit. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(a), 2017 Wis. Act 317, Secs. 37 & 38, Eff. 4/18/18. It pays you back for the amount of time you couldn't fully use the apartment. (The State of Wisconsin does not have a formal rent abatement process. For Kenosha, Milwaukee, and Wausau, click here.) Rent abatement is allowed under Wisconsin law, but when and how much a tenant can abate their rent is unclear. Wis. Stat. 704.07(4)

NOTE: For the reasons above, abating your own rent puts you at risk for eviction for nonpayment of rent, especially if there is another recommended method. If you live in Kenosha, Milwaukee, or Wausau, click here for your local Rent Abatement procedures.

Here are some way to improve your chances of successfully abating your rent if the building inspector orders repairs and the landlord does not complete them by the deadline, or if your area is not served by a building inspector:

  1. Request the Repairs Several Times in Writing Before Abating Rent. Give your landlord a reasonable amount of time to make the repairs. Let them know you may abate your rent under Wis. Stat. 704.07 if they do not respond.
  2. Contact Your Local Building Inspector or the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Their report will provide a very important piece of evidence.
  3. Deduct a Portion of Your Rent that is Consistent with the Severity of the Repair Problem. To decide how much, you could consult the City of Madison rent abatement percentages as a guide and offer the lower end of the range to show good faith. These are available here (rent abatement is 32.04) or from the Tenant Resource Center.
  4. Keep Paying the Rest of Your Rent On Time! Include a note to your landlord with your partial rental payment explaining why you are abating rent.

Step 6, Option B (Risky): Withhold Rent. Not paying your rent to pressure a landlord into making repairs is extremely risky. You could be evicted for nonpayment of rent unless you can prove to the court that withholding your rent was justified. Because tenant-landlord laws do not authorize tenants to do this, it is never certain that the court will decide in the tenant's favor; instead, the tenant may be evicted. For important information about the eviction process, click here. If nothing else works, here are four ways to improve your chances of successfully withholding rent:-

  1. Request the Repairs Several Times in Writing Before Withholding Rent. Give your landlord a reasonable amount of time to make the repairs and give clear deadlines.
  2. Put Withheld Rent into an Escrow Account, or Savings Account. Make the deposits on the day your rent is due. Do not spend it! You may need to prove you had the money. Additionally, you may need to prove to a judge that you were withholding rent for the specific purpose of enforcing your rights, and that the money is available if the repairs are completed.
  3. Include a Note to Your Landlord with Your Partial Rent Payment and Explain Why You Are Withholding Rent. Make sure to pay this on time and mention that you have the money in an escrow account and that you will pay in full when your landlord has made the necessary repairs. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself!
  4. Release the Withheld Rent After Your Landlord Makes the Repairs.

Step 6, Option C: Move Out Because of Constructive Eviction. Constructive eviction is what happens when repairs are needed so badly that the rental unit becomes uninhabitable. More information on constructive eviction is available here. To be successful:

  1. There must be a severe health or safety hazard; and
  2. The tenant must give the landlord a reasonable amount of time to repair the problem; and
  3. If it is not repaired (or the repair is so extreme that it will impose "undue hardship" on the tenant) the tenant may constructively evict.

Fires and floods are good examples of conditions that may cause someone to constructively evict. Wis. Stat. 704.07(4) This happens in only the most extreme repair situations, and involves risk on the part of the tenant. If a tenant can successfully claim constructive eviction, they are no longer responsible under the rental agreement for unpaid rent after they move out and can get back any prepaid rent. If a tenant tries to claim constructive eviction but is not successful, the tenant may be liable for rent to the end of the rental agreement plus any legal fees but the landlord will have to Mitigate their damages.

To improve your chances of successfully claiming constructive eviction, carefully document the repair problems, your requests to the landlord, and the overall condition of the rental unit. Send your landlord notice in writing that you are leaving because the rental unit has become uninhabitable. Keep track of all the expenses you must pay because you had to leave (motels, eating out, etc.). Even if a court eventually decides that you were not constructively evicted by the repair issue, the landlord still has a duty to try to find a new tenant for your old rental unit (just like if you had Broken Your Lease).

Under state statute, a tenant can not go to court and ask for permission to constructively evict, instead it is used as a defense if the tenant moves and the landlord sues the tenant for unpaid rent. This is why it is extremely important to document all the actions you take if you are going to constructively evict yourself from the apartment.

Step 7: Call Consumer Protection. Consumer Protection laws require landlords to follow through on repair promises. If your landlord made a written or verbal promise to make a repair but has not followed through, you may file a complaint with Consumer Protection by calling (800) 422-7128. If the landlord never made the promise in writing, then you should send the agency copies of your letters to the landlord and mention the landlord's verbal promise. Your letters may be good evidence, especially if the landlord never wrote back to deny the promise was made. For more information on how to get things in writing from your landlord, visit our Get It In Writing Page. ATCP 134.07

Landlord Entry

A landlord must give the tenant a 12 hour notice before entering to make a repair unless it is an emergency (like a pipe bursting). You can agree to let your landlord enter sooner than that to make the repairs more quickly, but the landlord still needs to give proper notice the next time. In some cases, tenants may have signed a NONSTANDARD RENTAL PROVISION that lets the landlord enter with less notice. Check your lease for any such clauses. For more information, see Landlord Entry. ATCP 134.09(2)

NOTE: New laws make it clear that landlords can give this notice in an e-mail or text message. Wis. Stat. 704.10(4), 2017 Wis. Act 317, Sec. 42, Eff. 4/18/18.

Who Is Responsible For Repairs?


Landlord Repair Responsibilities

  • Keep heating, plumbing, electrical system, and building structure in good condition. Wis. Stat. 704.07(2)(a) (More about Heat here).
  • Keep common areas such as hallways, storage areas, laundry rooms, parking lots, and yards in good condition. Wis. Stat. 704.07(2)(a)1
  • Maintain all supplied equipment, including all appliances. Wis. Stat. 704.07(2)(a)2
  • Comply with all local housing codes. If the building is occupied by one or more tenants, improper use or damage by one tenant does not relieve the landlord of the duty to maintain the premises for the other tenants in the building. Wis. Stat. 704.07(2)(a)5
  • Provide a working smoke detector on each floor including the basement. If a tenant gives written notice that the smoke detector is not working, the landlord must fix it within five days. Wis. Stat. 101.145
  • Install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors in all new and most existing residential buildings. Wis. Stat. 101.149

Tenant Repair Responsibilities

  • Perform minor maintenance such as changing light bulbs. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(b)
  • Keep the apartment in a safe, sanitary condition.
  • Comply with all local housing codes. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(c)
  • Keep the thermostat set at a reasonable temperature to prevent freezing of pipes and other equipment.
  • Repair, or pay the landlord to repair, all damages caused by the tenant and their guests. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(a)
    • NOTE: Whenever repairs are needed because of the tenant's action or inaction, the landlord can charge a "reasonable hourly rate" for their time, materials ,and time spent purchasing or providing materials, supervising their staff or agents, and hiring a third-party contractor. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(a), 2017 Wis. Act 317, Secs. 37 & 38, Eff. 4/18/18.
  • Keep working batteries in smoke detectors and give written notice to the landlord if smoke detectors are not working properly. Wis. Stat. 101.45

2013 Wis. Act 76 includes language about pest control. This does not mean the tenant automatically has to pay for pest control (like bedbugs) but it does say that have to pay if the pests were caused by "actions or inactions" of the tenant or their guests. The landlord still has to repair the problem, regardless of whoever ends up paying for it. Wis. Stat. 704.07(3)(a), 2013 Wis. Act 76, Sec. 12, Eff. 3/1/14.

Avoid Problems: Take Steps Before Signing A Lease

There are several things tenants can do before signing a lease to minimize the chances of future repair problems. See our page Preparing to Rent for more information on how tenants can protect themselves before signing a lease.

  • Before entering into a rental agreement or accepting earnest money, the landlord must tell the tenant about documented, uncorrected building code violations that they have actual knowledge of and which are a significant threat to the prospective tenant's health or safety. ATCP 134.04(2)(a)Wis. Stat. 66.0104(2)(d)12013 Wis. Act 76, Sec. 2, Eff. 3/31/12 and 11/1/15.

NOTE: 2011 Wis. Act 143 only changed the language about required disclosures in Wis. Stats. 704.072011 Wis. Act 143, Sec. 16 & 17 Eff. 3/31/12 It was unclear at the time how this would affect the Consumer Protection regulations. Now, these same requirements are also in the Consumer Protection Code. This brings ATCP 134 in line with the State Statutes. ATCP 134.04(2)(a), CR 14-038, Sec. 3Eff. 11/1/15.

  • Before entering into a rental agreement or accepting earnest money, the landlord must also tell the tenant about any conditions affecting habitability which they know about, or could have known about based on a reasonable inspection. These include any lack of: hot or cold running water, safe electrical system, sewage disposal, heating systems unable to reach 67°F in all living areas in all seasons, and all other likely health or safety hazards. ATCP 134.04(2)(b)MGO 32.08(2)(a), FO 72-108(2)a
  • Call the local Building Inspector to check if there are any current building code violations or citations on the property. (See our list at the bottom of this page.)
  • Before the rental agreement is signed, the landlord must put any promises to repair in writing, with specific deadlines for each repair. ATCP 134.07
  • Call Consumer Protection at (608) 224-4953 or (800) 422-7128 to check if there have been any complaints filed against your prospective landlord.
  • Inspect the rental unit your are considering, taking notice of repairs and improvements that need to be made.
  • Negotiate with your prospective landlord about what repairs or improvements will be made, and write those into the lease.
  • If your lease has a provision that allows the landlord to not provide the premises in a habitable condition or maintain the property, this is not enforceable, and you could automatically break your lease if you needed to. These provisions make your lease "void and unenforceable." Wis. Stat. 704.44(8)2011 Wis. Act 143, Sec. 35 Eff. 3/31/12. ATCP 134.08(8), CR 14-038, Sec. 11, Eff. 11/1/15. For more information and other reasons a lease may become void and unenforceable, see Ending Your Lease. 
  • Contact the Tenant Resource Center to ask questions about items in your lease.

Avoid Problems: Take Steps While Moving In


Document All Repair Problems Carefully

Fill out your check-in form. Filling in your check-in form is the best way to prove the condition of the apartment if the landlord tries to make deductions from your security deposit later on for damages that were already there. The new law says you shall be given 7 days from when you move in to complete the check-in sheet and return it to the landlord. Under the new laws, the landlord can send all documents and forms related to the security deposit in an e-mail or text message. Wis. Stat. 704.10(2), 2017 Wis. Act 317, Sec. 42, Eff. 4/18/18. It is unclear if there is a deadline for the tenant to fill out the check-in sheet, but the landlord should give them at least 7 days. Wis. Stat. 704.08 Failure to meet the landlord's deadline does not in any way negate the information on the form. Eff. 3/31/12. ATCP 134 says that tenants have at least 7 days from when they move into an apartment to give the completed check-in form to the landlord. How this is impacted by 2011 Wis. Act 143 is unclear. Eff. 3/31/12.

NOTE: Previously, landlords were supposed to also fill out the check-in sheet. This was only required between 3/31/12 and 2/28/14.  Wis. Stat. 704.082011 Wis. Act 143, Sec. 18, Eff. 3/31/12. 2013 Wisconsin Act 76 removed the language about the landlord filling out the check-in sheet. 2013 Wis. Act 76, Sec. 13, Eff. 3/1/14.

No matter what, tenants should keep a copy of the completed check-in form or forms for themselves. If you didn't get a check-in form, make your own or use our Sample Check-In Form and send a copy to the landlord. Completing the form will document the state of the rental unit when you moved in, and what damages you should not be charged for.

Request a list of previous tenant's deductions. The landlord is required to let you know in writing that you can get a list of the deductions from the previous tenant's security deposit. ATCP 134.06(1)(a)2 If requested, the landlord must provide this within 30 days, or within 7 days after they return the previous tenant's security deposit, whichever is later. ATCP 134.06(1)(b) This list may be helpful in recognizing other repairs that need to be done.

Request repairs. A check-in form is not a request for repairs; it simply documents the condition of the apartment. If you want the landlord to fix certain problems, follow the suggestions in the first section for getting repairs done. For more information, see our Sample Repair Request Form.


Useful Phone Numbers


Emergency Utility Numbers

Madison Gas & Electric
(608) 252-7111 or (800) 245-1123

WE Energy
(800) 261-LEAK

Alliant Energy (Wisconsin Power & Light Co.)
(800) 862-6263 (Gas & Water)
(800) 862-6261 (Electricity & Power Outage)

Wisconsin Public Service Corp.
(800) 450-7280 (Gas)
(800) 450-7240 (Electricity)

Xcel Energy
(800) 895-2999 (Gas)
(800) 895-1999 (Electricity)

Building Inspection

If your municipality's building inspector is not listed here, check your phone book or call our toll-free line if outside of Dane County at 877-238-RENT. Tenant Resource Center has the building inspector phone numbers for most cities and towns in Wisconsin.

NOTE: The state building inspection unit at (608) 266-3151 may be able to help tenants in areas not served by municipal inspectors. They have limited enforcement ability and may charge for inspections. If you live in an area without a building inspector, you can also try calling a health or fire inspector.

Other Statewide Resources

Consumer Protection
(608) 224-4953
(800) 422-7128

Asbestos & Lead Section, Department of Health & Family Services
(608) 261-6876

Wisconsin Radon Information Centers
(888) 569-7236

Bat Conservation Corps of Wisconsin
(608) 837-BATS (2287)

Bed Bug Information
TRC Bed Bugs Fact Sheet
AASCW Bed Bugs Information Sheet

Building Inspectors in Wisconsin

Algoma, City  920-487-5203
Algoma, Town  920-233-1999
Amery  715-268-7427
Antigo  715-623-3633 x 134
Appleton  920-832-6411
Ashland   715-682-7002
Baraboo  608-355-2730
Bay City  715-262-5777
Bayside  414-351-8811
Beaver Dam  920-877-4600 x 340
Bellvue  920-468-2023
Beloit  608-364-6650 x 6658 or 6656
Berlin  920-361-5402
Big Bend, Village  262-662-2747, 800-422-5220
  Tuesday, Thursday 12:30PM - 1:30PM
Black Earth  Tracey Johnson 608-826-0532, Cell 608-444-0372
Black River Falls Joe Jackson 608-745-4070
Brillion  920-756-2250
Bristol  608-837-3371
Broadhead  608-897-4018
Brookfield  262-796-3790
Brown Deer  414-371-3030
Burke, Town  608-825-8420
Burlington  262-763-3070 x 231
Butler, Village  262-783-2525, 800-422-5220
Cambellsport  800-422-5220
Cedarburg, Town  262-375-1349
Chenequa, Village  262-367-2239, 800-422-5220
  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 3:00PM - 4:00PM
Chilton, City  920-849-2451
Cleveland  800-590-2366
Clifton  715-377-2152
Columbus  920-623-3311
Cottage Grove 608-837-3371
Cudahy  414-769-2211
Cumberland, City Jim Price 715-822-8537
De Forest  608-846-6751
Deerfield, Village 608-764-5404
Delafield, City  262-646-2577
DePere 920-339-4053
Delafield, Town  262-646-2778
  Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8:00AM-10:30AM, Thursday 11:30AM-12:30PM
Denmark  920-468-0487
Eagle, Town  262-594-2366, 800-422-5220
Eagle, Village  262-594-5134
East Troy  262-642-6260
East Troy, Township 262-642-2284
Eau Claire  715-839-4947
Edgerton  608-884-4811
El Paso  715-262-5777
Elm Grove  262-782-6700
  Monday, Wednesday, Friday 12:00PM-1:00PM
Elkhorn, City  262-741-5115
Ellsworth, Town  715-377-2152
Ellsworth, Village  715-262-5777
Elmwood  715-232-4868
Emerald, Town  715-377-2152
Farmington, Town  262-675-6441, 262-692-2039
Fennimore  608-723-4272
  Monday 9:00AM-11:00AM
Fitchburg  608-270-4240
Fond du Lac  Residential 920-322-3575
  Code Enforcement 920-322-3576
  Chief Inspector 920-322-3572
Fort Atkinson  920-563-7760
Fox Point, Village  414-351-8906
Franklin  414-425-0084
Fredonia, Town  262-692-2039
Fredonia, Village  262-626-2560
Fulton  608-868-2312
Genesee  262-968-3621
Germantown, Village  262-250-4760
Glendale, City 414-228-1711
Grafton, Town  262-377-1087, Voicemail 262-377-8500
Grafton, Village  262-375-5305
Grand Chute  920-832-1599
Green Bay  920-448-3300, Emergency, after hours 920-492-3735 
Greendale 414-228-1711
Greenfield  Code Enforcement 414-329-5336, Residential, Tom Franecki 414-329-5334
Hales Corners  414-529-6161
Harrison, Town  920-989-2924
Hartford, City  262-673-8254
Hartland  262-490-8222
Hartland, Pierce County  715-377-2152
Hewitt  715-387-4222
Hiles, Town  715-649-3680
Hilsboro  608-697-7778
Hobart, Village  920-869-3809
Horicon City Hall  920-485-3500 x 2
Howard, Village  920-434-4640
Hudson, City  715-386-4775
Hudson, Town  715-386-4263, 715-386-5279
Hustisford  Jim 608-742-2169, Cell 608-697-7779 
Isabelle, Town  715-377-2152
Jackson, Village  262-677-9696
Janesville  608-755-3060
Jefferson  920-210-4135
  Tuesday, Thursday 8:00AM-9:00AM
Juneau  920-386-4800
Kaukana  920-766-6325
Kendall, Village  608-463-7124
Kenosha  262-653-4263
Kewaunee  920-388-5000
  Wednesday 2:00PM-6:00PM
Kickapoo  Rockwater Building Services 608-983-2312
Kimberly  920-788-7500
La Crosse  608-789-7530
Ladysmith  715-532-2600
Lake Geneva 262-248-3673
Lake Mills  920-648-2344
  Tuesday, Thursday 9:00AM-12:00PM
Lancaster  608-723-4272, 608-723-6410 x 4
Lavalle, Town  608-355-3200 x 4315
Liberty  920-244-7635
Linn  (h) 262-742-2231, 262-275-6300 x 13
  Tuesday, Thursday 11:00AM -1:00PM
Lisbon, Town  262-844-1594
Little Chute  920-788-7380 x 3
Lodi  608-592-3247, 608-266-4551
  Tuesday, Friday 8:00AM-10:00AM
Madison, City  608-266-4551
Madison, Town  608-210-7261
Maiden Rock, Town  715-377-2152
Maiden Rock, Village  715-262-5777
Manitowish Waters  715-543-8400
Manitowoc  920-686-6940
Marinette  715-732-5120
Marion  715-754-2984
Markesan  920-398-3131, Cell 608-697-7779
Marshall  800-422-5220 x 0
Marshfield  715-387-1344
Martell  715-377-2152
Mauston  608-847-6676 x 305
Mayville  920-387-7900 x 209
Mazomanie, Village 608-444-7510, 800-261-3898
McFarland 608-838-3154
  Tuesday, Thursday 7:45AM-11:30AM; Monday, Friday 12:30PM-4:15PM
Medford, City  715-748-4321 x 223
Menasha, City (To set up) 800-422-5220
  8:00AM- 10:00AM
  (To speak) 920-967-5123
  12:15PM- 1:00PM
Menomonie  715-232-2241
Menomonee Falls 262-532-4200
Menomonee Falls, Village  262-532-4282
  Monday – Friday 7:30AM-4:00PM
Mequon 262-236-2924
Merrill  715-536-5594
Merrimac  608-983-2312
Merton  262-538-0820, 262-538-1558
Merton, Town  262-966-2651
Milton  City Hall 608-868-6900 x 2
Milwaukee  414-286-2268
Mineral Point  608-987-2516
Minong, Town  608-466-5916
Minong, Village 715-466-5295
Mondovi  715-926-3866
Monroe, City  608-329-2518
Morrison  920-685-6755, 920-858-5137
Mosinee  715-693-2275, 715-693-3840
Mt. Horeb  608-437-7884
Mt. Morris  920-787-6500
Mukwonago  262-968-3621
Muskego  262-679-4144, 262-679-4039
Neilsville  715-743-2105
Neenah  920-866-6130
  7:30AM-9:00AM; 12:00PM-1:30PM; 3:00PM-4:00PM
New Berlin 262-797-2449
Newburg 262-675-2160
New Glarus, Town 608-444-7510, 800-261-6468
New Glarus, Village 608-845-7495
New Holstein 920-898-5766, 920-901-0288
New London 920-982-8500 x 112
New Richmond  715-246-4268
North Fond du Lac  920-929-3765
Oak Creek  414-768-6545
Oak Grove, Township 715-426-9738
Oconomowoc Lake, Village 262-567-5301, 262-790-0573
Oconomowoc, City  262-569-2195
Oconomowoc, Town  920-474-4449
Omro  920-410-6756
Onalaska  608-781-9541
Oostburg  920-564-3844, 920-564-3214
Oregon, Town  608-835-2982
Oregon, Village  608-835-3118
Orfordville  608-876-6226
Oshkosh  920-236-5137, 920-236-5050
Ottawa  262-965-3228
Peshtigo  Home 715-732-2218, Cell 715-938-1721
Pewaukee, City  262-691-9107
Pewaukee, Village 262-691-9107
Platteville  608-348-9741
Pleasant Springs  608-873-8784, 608-445-9715
Plover  715-345-5312
Port Washington  262-268-4277
Prescott, City  715-262-5777
Portage  Mark Jankowski 608-745-4070, 608-697-7777
  NOTE: You must bring a written request to the City Hall for request will be given to the inspector
Poynette, Village  608-617-5022
Prairie du Sac  608-697-7778
Racine, City  262-636-9464
Randolph, Town  608-617-5022
Randolph, Village  920-326-4600
Redgranite  920-787-3488
Reedsburg  608-524-6406
  8:00AM- 10:00AM
Reeseville  920-210-0262, 920-356-9447
Rhinelander  715-365-8606
  [email protected]
Rib Mountain  715-842-0983
Rice Lake  715-234-2425
Richfield  262-628-2260 x 17
Richland Center  608-647-5364, 608-963-0652
  Monday, Wednesday 8:00AM-9:00AM
River Falls, City  715-425-0900 x 3
River Falls, Town  715-425-7909
Roberts  715-760-0846
Rochester, Town  262-763-7999, Cell 262-210-1741
Rochester, Village  262-895-7089
Rome  715-325-8012
Salem  262-843-2313
Salem, Pierce County, Town  715-372-2151
Sampson  715-697-2050
Sand Lake  715-225-0532
Scott  920-992-3471
Sharon  262-728-2600, 262-736-4888
Sheboygan  North 920-459-3481; South 920-459-3480
Shelby  608-788-1081
Shorewood Hills  608-267-2680
Shorewood, Village 414-847-2640
Silver Lake  262-889-8094
Sister Bay  920-854-2934
Slinger  262-644-5265
South Milwaukee  414-762-4444 x 140, 414-768-8054
Sparta  608-269-6509
Spooner  715-635-8769
Spring Green  608-588-2335
Spring Valley  715-377-2152
St. Francis, City  414-481-2300
St. Joseph  715-425-7907
St. Nazianz  920-773-2471
Stephenson 715-757-2421
Stevens Point  715-346-1567
Stoughton  608-873-7626
Sturgeon Bay  920-746-2900
Sturtevant  262-886-7200
Suamico  920-434-2212
Sullivan  262-490-0513
Sun Prairie  608-825-1184
Superior  715-395-7288
Sussex  262-246-5200
Thiensville 800-422-5220
Tigerton 800-422-5220
Tomah 608-374-7429
  8:00AM – 10:00AM, 12:30PM – 2:00PM
Trenton, Township 715-262-5777
Two Rivers 920-793-5566
Union Grove 262-878-2579
Union Township Robert Fahey 608-882-4199
Vernon 262-662-5355
Verona 608-845-6695
Vienna 608-226-0364, Cell 608-225-4140
Waterford 262-534-7911
Waterloo Chris Butschke 920-478-3025, Cell 608-576-6371
  Monday, Friday 8:00AM-9:30AM , Wednesday 12:30PM-2:00PM
Watertown 920-262-4060, 920-262-4061, 920-262-4062
Watertown, Township 920-261-5690
Waukesha, City 262-524-3530
Waukesha, Town 262-542-2209, 800-422-5220
Waunakee 608-849-5613
Waupaca 715-258-4404 x 227
Waupun 920-324-7917, 920-325-7850 x 16
Wausau 715-261-6780
Wautoma 920-787-4044, 920-787-6510, Cell 920-229-7018
  Tuesday, Thursday 11:00 – 11:30
  Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 10:30AM
Wauwatosa 414-479-8957
Wayne Town Hall Gordon Hoffman 262-626-4818
West Allis 414-302-8400
West Bend, City 262-335-5140
West Bend, Town 262-338-3417
West Salem Randy 608-269-5858
Weston 715-359-6114
Whitefish Bay 414-962-6690
  Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 9:30AM, 12:30PM – 1:30PM
Whitewater Don Jones 262-473-0540 x 245
Willams Bay 262-245-2704
Wilson 800-590-2366
Windsor Clint Rudesill 608-742-2169
Winneconne 920-582-4775
Wisconsin Dells 608-253-2542
Wisconsin Rapids 715-421-8225
Wrightstown 920-858-0102
York 608-326-1051



The laws changed in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018. Many factors can determine which laws apply to your situation, including when the problem occurred, when the lease was signed or renewed, and when an eviction took place. If your lease was signed or problem started before 4/18/18 you will want to carefully review the language of the law to determine if it applies to your situation.

Purple text applies to leases and events as of 12/21/11 (2011 Wis. Act 108) Summary

Orange text applies to leases and events as of 3/31/12 (2011 Wis. Act 143Summary

Green text applies to leases and events as of 3/1/14 (2013 Wis. Act 76Summary WI, Summary Dane Co.

Blue text applies to leases and events as of 11/1/15 (CR 14-038) Summary

Maroon text applies to leases and events as of 3/2/16 (2015 Wis. Act. 176) Summary

Brown text applies to leases and events as of 4/18/18 (2017 Wis. Act 317) Summary

More information on law changes is available here. Have your lease available when calling the Tenant Resource Center so we can help you know what your rights and remedies are, including whether you can request double damages, court costs and reasonable attorney fees when you sue your landlord.